Pages

June 9, 2013

Keeping Memories Alive

I've blogged this before, but not here. 


Yup, that shirt used to be a maxi dress.  I love the cutouts and embroidery, the bright colors, and the sentimental place it holds in my heart (got it for our honeymoon in the Apostle Islands, which are absolutely not tropical at all despite what you might think from their name, or the dress).  However, I've worn it three or four times in the two months since trimming it down -- and still have the bottom, waiting for a chance to make a waistband and finish it out as a skirt -- and I do not at all regret chopping it in two.


Tunic: Modcloth, modified by me | Sweater: Ross? | Jeans: REI | Sandals: Kohl's
(Shockingly, nothing in this post was thrifted!  You have no idea how rare that is for me...)

The pants are a fairly recent acquisition, and I really like them.  They're lightweight & trouser-y in shape, with reinforced articulated knees and buttonholes to roll them into capris.  I also suspect that there's some kind of optical brightener/reflector woven into the cotton -- not that they are blinding or anything, but that wearing them out in direct noontime sunlight, I still stay cool.  Which just about makes these perfect, in my book.

 

Colorful beaded cork sandals make me feel very Berkeley, but in a more refined, less overtly-hippie sort of way.  Just like my cutoff flower-child maxi dress.

Any changes made to sentimental or long-loved items to keep them around and increase their use?  Do tell!

4 comments:

  1. I love your shoes and the beautiful bright colors!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get so sentimental about some of the clothes I've had for years--I haven't done too much altering, though. I'm not quite confident at the sewing machine for that yet, but I have a few ideas in mind...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love getting clothing as gifts, so that whenever I wear them, I think of the person who gives it to me. In fact, I'm wearing my Failed Mr. Darcy Proposal shirt right now, and thinking of you, and how perfect this shirt is for me! :D

    As for changing around sentimental items to get further use... not clothing, but our first couch cover, the AMAZING(ly busy) orange and red floral? It's totally worn out where we sit on it, and had to come off the couch. We replaced it, with an unfortunately boring white (no fun patterns this year, plus it's an extra $70 for colors, LAME), but salvaged big pieces of the back and sides and put them in frames on our wall, to keep the color scheme in the room, and to remind us of our first and well loved piece of furniture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's adorable, about the couch! I'd have made pillow cover out of 'em, but I could see how two toddlers would destine that for even faster demise. =)

      Delete